Saturday, July 18, 2009

Why Am I Posting This? A little about me...

Hi! I have decided to post my tonsillectomy story for all of you, because as I was trying to research about my surgery, I could not find a whole lot out there on the net about what to expect for adults. So, I hope this will be helpful to those of you who are considering having this surgery.


I am female, 25 years old, and have been struggling with huge, crypt-ridden nasty tonsils for as long as I can remember. I should have had them out as a child, but for some reason it never happened. My mother apologizes to me for that to this day. In my late teens, they got particularly bad, as I developed “tonsil stones” or gross smelly balls of gunk that I had to pick out of my tonsils nearly every day. Constant low-grade sore throat and ear pain was the norm, punctuated by bouts of excruciatingly painful tonsillitis. So I jumped at the chance to get them out when my insurance deductible was finally met this year. I should note that I had the traditional electrocautery method to remove my tonsils, not the new Coblation method.


I should warn you now that although I had firmly made up my mind to have the surgery and did all I could to prepare myself for what was to come, some of my entries are very candid and frankly, I was quite miserable at times. I have also included pictures of what my throat really looked like, so if you can't handle pictures..you may not want to scroll down. But I encourage you to be brave and have a look. It really is helpful for you. I hope you enjoy my story!

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, your blog is very informative and insightful on the path that I've begun. Im only on day 3 and this is a living hell. I am extremely tired but cannot sleep. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'm sorry you are experiencing this pain - it was the worst pain I have ever felt, but I assure you that it was worth it for me. I have not had any of the infections or sore throats since I had my tonsils out. I wish you the best recovery possible and please remember that it will get better!

      Delete