Saturday, July 18, 2009

Friday July 10, 2009 – Day #2 of recovery


Well, I did sleep much better last night, but along with sleep came the dreaded ear pain. Every time I attempted to drink, take medicine, basically swallow or engage my neck muscles at all, there was bad pain that radiated into both ears. So if I kept very still, I was able to sleep, but once I started moving around the pain was pretty bad. I made sure to drink a Slimfast in bed before I got up for the day, so I did not have a low blood sugar attack today. That’s about the only positive thing I can say for today though. As the day has worn on, the pain has gotten worse. My tongue and mouth are very swollen, and every muscle in my neck is super sore. The ear pain has lessened slightly, but now having pain radiating into the right side of my jaw. I have an ice pack wrapped around my neck, and my mom just made me a protein smoothie because I can’t eat very well right now, and I’m hungry. I still have an hour and a half until I can take more pain killer. My mom says I feel warm, like I may have a fever, which the nurse said may happen. I can’t talk well, either, so I am trying to communicate without moving my mouth as much as possible. It’s really not helping that I’m watching Oprah on TV and her friend Gayle is rating the best sandwiches in America. I’m really wanting that big sloppy Parmesan Chicken sandwich they just ate in front of me!

Well, I’m trying to stay positive and remember that this excruciating pain means I’m healing, right? And the pain has to peak sometime. So I am forcing down the Jello and waiting until my next dose of pain meds, and then I am retreating to bed. I hope tomorrow will be better…or at the very least, not worse than today. I don’t know if I’ll be able to keep from crying if it gets worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment