Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thursday, July 16, 2009 – Day # 8 of recovery


I went to bed last night at about 11pm. I woke up at 2am and took about two teaspoons of Hycet. My throat hurt, but not even close to how it usually hurts at night. I went back to bed and didn’t get up again until 6:30am. I took about 2 ½ teaspoons this time, because my throat and ears were hurting more. The pain went away quickly though, and I was able to drink my glass of water without having to wait for the medicine to kick in enough to swallow. Actually now after I take the Hycet, I can swallow without feeling hardly any pain. It is wonderful! I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but I’ve switched to drinking cool or room temperature water now, instead of freezing ice water. The ice water feels like needles are jabbing me in the throat, I guess because the healing tissue is still very sensitive. But cool water feels good.


I slept in until 11am this morning. When I woke up, my throat felt dry, and it hurt to swallow, but not enough to make me wince like before. I took two teaspoons of the Hycet, and ate cereal for breakfast. I did not have a bowel movement at all yesterday, but I finally had a bowel movement today at around 12:30pm, but it was painful. I can’t remember if I took my stool softener last night… That may be why. I need to make sure to take it regularly. I did some paperwork to have my insurance apply the newly bought Hycet refill to my deductible, and I am going to try sending off for the $20 rebate again for the refill. I don’t see any small print that says you can only do it one time. It’s worth a shot to try. The worst they can say is that the refill is not eligible. But I’d like that $20 if I can get it!


My mom left this afternoon for her own doctor’s appointment, so I am home alone for a while. I spent the afternoon reading, and on the computer. I had cheese and crackers for lunch, and I think the rough edges of the crackers were good for scraping off more of the scabs. The right side has more pink spots than the left side, so I tried to swallow more on the left side to help it along. I took two more ibuprofen tablets at about 2pm. Its doing wonders for the swelling. I wish that I had plucked up the courage to take it before yesterday. I could have been a lot more comfortable. I did not take more Hycet until 4pm. That’s a whopping 5 hours in between doses! That’s a record for me. I only took two teaspoons again. I’m feeling quite good, and it is such a relief to not have to think about pain every single minute of the day.


My mom brought home some Buca di Beppo (Italian food) for dinner, and I ate some ravioli, cheese manicotti and garlic bread. The edges on the garlic bread were a little rough for my throat, so I only ate one piece. But I dipped some softer bread in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and was pleasantly surprised that the vinegar did not really bother my throat. Score one for me! I also had a piece of carrot cake this evening, and another bowl of cereal before bed. I waited another 5 hours to take my next dose at 9pm. Again, I only took two teaspoons. My throat is looking better and better every day. Here are a few pictures we took tonight:








No comments:

Post a Comment